On Intimacy With God
As a Christian Individual and Marriage Counselor, it is important to me that my clients know the importance of distinguishing the difference between "Religion" and "Relationship with the Living God."
Because I am a Relationship Counselor, I want to encourage you to develop your most important relationship of all: a relationship with God!
Most of us think we are physical beings with mental, emotional and spiritual faculties. In truth, we are spiritual beings living in a physical world, being given an opportunity to choose
eternal life within the Kingdom of God by getting to know His Son, Jesus and to accept His free gift of redemption. Like any gift, it must be accepted. God is a gentleman and
he will not come into our lives to dwell within our hearts without an invitation.
We are born into this physical world spiritually dead, separated from God by sin.
Once we accept Jesus into our lives and repent of our sin, He sends His Holy Spirit to live inside us and we are born again, given new life and adopted into the family of God.
Now begins the breathtaking adventure of getting to know Him! (see: Jeremiah 33:3) He will reveal Himself to us in various ways. If... we ceaselessly seek to know Him. One major
access we have in knowing who He is, what His plan is for our lives and how He loves us, is through His living Word, The Bible.
The flesh profits nothing, it is the Spirit who gives life. The words that I speak to you are spirit,
and they are life. ~ John 6:63
After reading the following: Wisdom from the Lord, I offer a few questions for you to think about with regard to your relationship with God, and wonder whether you realize the importance
of being 'born again' (John 3:3) so that you are able to receive everlasting life!
Wisdom from the Lord
This is what the Lord says: "Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans and turn their hearts away from the Lord. They are like stunted
shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, on the salty flats where no one lives.
But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank
with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay
green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit." ~ Jeremiah 17 5-8
- Are your roots reaching beyond this temporary life.... toward eternity? ~ John 3:6 and 14:1-3
- Do you include God in your daily life--can you truly say that you are seeking Him? ~ Jeremiah 29:13-14
- Are you walking by faith or by sight? ~ Hebrews 11:6
- Are you benefiting from the richness of His Presence in your relationships? ~ John 4:10 ~ Jeremiah 31:3
- Are you experiencing the blessing of His promises and provision? ~ Psalms 103:2-4
1 John 1:9 ~ 1 Corinthians 2:9
- Do you trust Him? ~ Proverbs 3:5
- Do you know that His promises can be found in the Holy Bible? ~ 2 Peter 1:4
- Are you allowing your Creator, The Creator of this magnificent universe in which we live to show you His
perfect purpose and plan He designed for your life? ~ Jeremiah 29:11
- Or are you laboring to create a plan of your own design? ~ John 8:12
- Have you experienced the adventure it is to be adopted into the Family of God and have His Holy Spirit living
within you leading you in your daily life unto all Truth? ~ Galatians 4:3-7 ~ 1 John 3:1 ~ Romans 8:15
- Do you have the "peace which transcends all understanding?" ~ Phillippians 4:6-7
- Do you have Joy in your life? Can you say, "The joy of the Lord is my strength?" ~ Nehemiah 8:10
- Have you thought about the day we will all stand face to face with our Creator to give an account for how we have
used our time on earth? Can you say that you are "walking in a manner that is pleasing to Him?" ~ Matthew 7:13
- Will He look deeply into your eyes and say, "Well done my good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Master." ~ Matthew 25:23
If you have ever been put off from reading the Bible because of the difficulty of the language, some newer translations such as the New Living Translation (NLT), New Revised Standard Version (NRSV),
two of my favorites: New International Version (NIV) and The Book, among others are some suggested modern translations that will allow you to study and gain access to the Word of God.